How to make a super bright LED light panel (for video work etc)

How to make a super bright LED light panel (for video work etc)

Here's how to make a super-bright LED light panel. It's equivalent to a 1000w incandescent light bulb, and it's super useful for video work as it has a daylight colour temperature and doesn't use PWM for dimming. There are 900 individual LEDs in this panel, which is why it's so bright. LED Strips required: All the other components as a KIT: Here's a list of parts: (you can purchase from either eBay or Amazon) STEP-DOWN VOLTAGE REGULATOR Amazon: eBay: CAMERA SHOE ADAPTER: XT60 CONNECTORS: The following are better sourced from your own local hardware store: a sheet of 6mm MDF a sheet of 18mm MDF 2x aluminium tubes or wooden dowels a switch magnet wire 6.8k resistor small & medium wood screws a sheet of plexiglass. 12 awg wire a small fan How to make a shard light: How to make a graphics card quieter: How to make a battery protection circuit: If you attempt this project you do so at your own risk. I assume no responsibility for any injuries or damages caused to people or property during its construction or use. If you are under 18, a responsible adult must be present when using power tools. I have taken care in making sure the information in this video is accurate. However,I am unable to provide any warranty concerning the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in the video.

Comments to the video: How to make a super bright LED light panel (for video work etc)

DIY Perks 9 months ago
All the bits required for this build are available in kit form here: You'll still need the LED strips, which are linked to in the video's description.
Julian HG 1 month ago
got an almost identical (layout seems identical) 100W step down regulator from amazon (about £5), to replace the broken one. Worked a treat, thanks again Mat, i can paint portraits at night again :)
Julian HG 2 months ago
my Step down buck converter just died :( i've ordered a new one, still very happy though it has been going for ages (i added a huge passive heat sink too - approx 12inx1x1 !!! cheers o/
Julian HG 3 months ago
Hi Matt, i purchased your kit and made a longer version for helping me shoot portrait painting videos on my channel. It's brilliant and i don't get the banding anymore!!! thanks loads. you can see my version build here:
tomm-erik johannessen 5 months ago
DIY Perks p??
Demetris Mina 2 days ago
i used a pinewood board and the LED strips take alot of heat. will an aluminum sheet fix this? or aluminum tape ?
Amit Krupal 2 days ago
Can we make it in circular pattern
chris gan 13 days ago
Can you teach me how to make something like this? What type of led do i have to buy to achieve the same output
Kevin Workman 25 days ago
Hi - I got to the stage of testing the lights before putting the border on and literally none of the lights lit. I'm using a Ledmo A/C adaptor which puts out 12v and 5 amps and I've confirmed that there is power coming from the adaptor - any ideas as to why I'm not getting any lights? None of the soldered connections are loose and I would have expected at least some of them would have lit if it were a soldering issue.
Stephen Barlow 1 month ago
HELP, After I wired up all the LED's and tried to test them with a 19.5 v 2.3amp laptop power brick the lights flash instead of staying on. Any idea why they would flash? If I disconnect about half of the LED's they do stay on. Is it because the power supply is not powerfully enough?
Kevin Workman 1 month ago
I noticed that you inset the bottom border about 3cm from the edge of the panel - was there any reason for not putting it on the edge as you did with the side borders?
MA Productions 1 month ago
(a LED panel*) Not (‘an’ LED panel)
Douknow Me 8 days ago
Actually 'an' is more correct than 'a', there are some exceptions in grammar. Do u say 'a hour' or 'an hour'. Same thing applies here. if the letter being pronounced after this starts with a vowel (EL) then it better to say an LED.
Sherif Abdalla 1 month ago
Can this be used as a SAD lamp?
Kesha Borja 1 month ago
Really enjoyed your video. Let's check Avasva plans also
Gaby Sp 1 month ago
this is FLICKER FREE?
Raymond J 1 month ago
super fkn awsome dude thats really bright !
Mike Sims 2 months ago
I rather enjoy your how to video's. Your footage is always relevant, camera angles and zoom levels are spot on, you don't waste time gabbing and your voice is suited to this kind of video. Nice work!
yotam amit 2 months ago
I know it's 4 years old, yet I'll post my input for people who's still watching this: For driving LEDs, it's better to use current regulators than voltage rgulators, as it what's conrolling the brightness of the LEDs, and will extend the life of the LEDs by making sure it runs at the appropriate current for the LEDs. Most of the LED drivers are constant current regulated switch mode power supplies, switching at frequencies of 10's of kHz at least, and won't be visible even to a camera, while being very efficient (could go as much as 95% efficiency). And today, it's actually super cheap to buy a good 100W LED floodlight, could be less than 100$ for a decent fixture.
Elektronik Atölyem 2 months ago
Excellent project
Evan Cory Levine 2 months ago
Could I power three of these with this power supply? If I did, would I run them in series or parallel?
Josh Northeast 2 months ago
How would you make an RGB light panel?
Mads Hemmingsen 3 months ago
u r brilliant!
Power Battery Channel 3 months ago
Hello, I have even no patience to watch this video till the end, - hope, it's the best solution! I'm now working at the similar project, but, most probably, you have already made the universal solution both for indoor and outdoor usage. Great!!!
Grumich 3 months ago
What's the deal with Youtube and this quite annoying 3 min long Purple ad before you can see your video? This is new, and. it stinks. I ain't gonna wait thru it, sorry.
Vinicius da Costa Portugal 3 months ago
GENIOUS!!!
nishant laxmikant 3 months ago
Why dont you make a li- on battery pack with 4 cell that can be used various uses like the amp u made and also the lcd tv
Combed Autumn 3 months ago
Sweet I can build one of these for only 40quid, just need to spend £500 on power tools first lol
Vaibhav Maitry 3 months ago
For how much time does it wrks?
Benjamin Tube 3 months ago
It is a great video. Everything is explained in detail. Very helpful. I will do one and post you the result.
EstimatorBuddy 3 months ago
Well said!
newplanet75 3 months ago
Hi please could you add UK website link for whole parts kit?
Robert Martin 4 months ago
Flat white is more reflective than foil, or so I've read. You might give that a bit of research on your next build. Love the sponge idea!
Matias Sandoval 4 months ago
Thanks for the tutorial, its great to see that everyone can do they own lights with low budget. I wonder if you have the skin's tone problem with this LED's strips
Eddy Juillerat 4 months ago
Thank you fot this. I build my own 2 panels after watching this. Unfortunately, I messed up with the LED order and chose a bad quallity who give me ugly blueish color temp and magenta dominant. Like you said, watch out for quality when purchase. Anyway, thanks again.
David's DIY 4 months ago
The led strips listed are rated at 72W per strip, so 3 strips is more than double what the regulator can produce, or am I missing something?
neeraj techstack 4 months ago
Impressive video! You really made sure that the important points reach loud and clear to the viewer. Thanks uploader will return back to see more such videos. FOR MORE INFORMATION YOPUU CAN ALSO VISIT HERE:
Trucker Daddy 4 months ago
Neat project.
Dale Hooley 4 months ago
Great video. However I have a couple of questions please mate..I know the XT60 wires into the input screws, however where does the switch wire up to please? Is it the little connectors on the underneath of the panel, under the same input as the XT60? Also, I am confused at to where the fan wires up..cheers :)
Dale Hooley 4 months ago
Or do you mean instead of connecting the XT60 to both terminals, connect one XT60 wire to the terminal, then connect one switch wire to the other terminal, then connect the two spare wires together (without touching the terminal)?
Dale Hooley 4 months ago
Thank you mate, however I don't understand :( Do you mean connect both switch wires to the same soldered connection as the XT60? Thanks
DIY Perks 4 months ago
Just have the switch break one of the connectors coming off the XT60. That way, when it's off, it's like having the connector unplugged.
retiredman2 4 months ago
A lot of chatter about heating, current consumption, and possibility of over heating of the LED array. I built two full sized ones and one mini (5 meters). So far, the steady state temp.I measure is in the range of 108 deg. F. That's running them at 12 volts. That's safely under the max. temp. for 5050.The back side of the 6 mm board does get warm, so I'm not mounting the DC-DC regulator directly to the board. I also drilled numerous holes in the bottom of the mounting frame to encourage a chimney effect convection cooling of the LEDs (and not a trapped air space).
kellyq21 5 months ago
There are 900 LEDs in the panel. The Amazon LED roll referenced is $18.55 for a 300 LED strip. So three of those would be needed. That is $55.65 just for the LEDs. Much higher than mentioned in the video.
retiredman2 5 months ago
I chose some $8 versions from eBay, without the un needed weather proofing. However, be careful of the selection, there are many choices out there. I think the $18.55 is a rip off and not justified for the project. My results ( three panels) are great.
Trip's RC Reviews 5 months ago
the perspex were I'm from is 50 euros lol.
2ndmill 5 months ago
Is it possible to have the resistor backwards? Which side is positive?
William Roach 5 months ago
How durable is it?
Chris Chronos 5 months ago
Just curious about the temperature of the LED strip, it says its at 4500k. would it be okay using it with other LED lights that are at 5500k or will there be a noticeable difference?
Trip's RC Reviews 5 months ago
Question? Does the amp rating of the input power, for eg laptop battery matter? Earlier it's said that if it's not 10amps it will be dim?
black capped Chickadee 6 months ago
DIY Perks Great Projects and Oration Card Carrying Subscriber and the owner of 0-Zero completed Projects Another great video kuzzin, I have started two of your projects, how ever upon gathering up the materials my dogs looked at me.really, oh come on really should I desperately have been In need it would have been cheaper to just source and buy, which I didn't. My pockets held 3pound 7&6 enough for a pint and a meat pie. With this project I will not let outside forces influence my behaviour, I will complete this Super Bright LED Panel just in time to celebrate legalised pot. Dang the cost. There is a lot of magic in the air, that's right I feel it coming on MY Super Bright LED Panel will be used to communicate with Martians complete with Musical Scores from Close Encounters of One of a Kind and Star Warz heavy on the bass
333 CH 6 months ago
To anyone who has made these lights, I'll PayPal you $20 for emailing me some nice pictures of your lights in action and off. Just on a smartphone camera, I want the pictures to look organic. I made these a while ago but threw them away but I want to have pictures of them. Email me at LouisMelg@gmail.com
Sebastian Curmu 6 months ago
Nice tutorial. What software did you use for video editing? I like the way you added text to video
Kauno Medis 6 months ago
How about the cooling? This device will overheat quite fast and LEDs will degrade.
Gideon Semabia 6 months ago
Thank you for the education. I bought an LED light and when u shoot video with it at whatever frame rate it flicks. Pleas can you help me out
F E 6 months ago
If amazon says 3 strips will need 216 watts total, how can you get away with using a 100W power supply?
الموسوعة العائلية 6 months ago
Good work subscribe now exchange subscription support all of us in goodness I invite all viewers to subscribe in ELMAOSOAA chanle for all family you will not regret
akronymus 6 months ago
this mixing of ISO and imperial measures is weird. Why not introduce ancient Chinese measurements for making confusion complete? Still thanks for the project idea.
Anne M 7 months ago
Great tutorial, I had to watch it like 12 times but then I got it :) I got a question, though: my voltage regulator has two of those micro-potentiometers. For one of them, two of the pins on the back are bridged together with a little piece of metal (sorry, non-native speaker here). I soldered the potentiometer to the one without the bridged pins. However, the micropod on the micro-poteintiometer can be turned endlessly, there is no fully anti-clockwise. The part has the exact same number on it ( BAOTER 3296 ) as in the video. What am I doing wrong?
Ryan Avery 7 months ago
0:32 300 pounds is 400 dollars currently. That's quite a big change from 600 in 4 years.
Zusha Kaplan 7 months ago
Hello. I have been trying for a long time to create a strong LED light that I can use for video shooting and I found 50W chips that cost really cheap and really powerful but the problem is that when I raise the camera shatter it becomes a strong black stripes in photography. You know maybe what causes it and if there is a solution that it will not?
Vincent Jansen 7 months ago
I was wondering if you have any recommendation for light defusing?  I want to make a curved lightbox similar to yours but the separate leds may not be visible and the defusing distance must be as short as possible. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Lee Burnett 7 months ago
Hi, could you help please? I have followed this until the point of soldering the wire, but then I am stuck. I am not sure what gauge wire to buy? I have made a 1ft x1ft panel, with alternating 2800k and 5600k strips? so 10m of strip in total. Great, helpful video, Thanks
akronymus 6 months ago
2800 and 5600 Kelvin tells about light color, but nothing about electrical power. Using the cable type described here should work.
Hack 'n Build 7 months ago
I just built myself some light, but I'd wondered how well using these strips would work. My main concern with using strips like these is that the postings on Amazon / eBay is that it's hard to know what you're really getting. I've seen 12V 300-led strips on Amazon with built in controllers and power supplies. I am guessing they're not as bright as what you're using but might do the trick for some Q&D accent lighting.
Dan Tong 7 months ago
What a wonderful tutorial ! Detailed, clear instructions for building the light panel. Thanks, Does anyone know the CRI index for this light ?
NoWrongInChickn 7 months ago
Is there a way that I can make this LED panel be powered only by an outlet? If so, what do I need and what do I have to do?
Music Calgary 7 months ago
10 AMPS?
Howard Morris 7 months ago
Hi, good evening! After watching both this and your Flexible LED Panels video, what I would like to do is built a flexible panel but with the voltage regulated power supply that you specify here. I'd like to totally eliminate the flicker caused by the PWM component. What I plan on doing is mounting this panel inside of a 4x6 foot (very large) professional softbox that I own. I plan on having all of the power supply bits in a box of some kind which will sit on the floor at the bottom of the light stand. I have not yet decided if I am going to build this panel with two different color temperature strip sets as you have laid out in the flexible panel video, but I am leaning in that direction. A few questions: 1. Can you help me with a parts list for building the larger size panel (I believe it was 51cm) using the power regulated power? This would include the two dimmers for the different temperature strips. 2. Alternatively, if I decided to just go with a single color temperature strip, would I simply use the components specified in this project? 3. I am somewhat concerned about heat generation on these flexible panes--particularly if I go for the single color temperature, checkerboarded LED configuration. Since building the flexible panels, do you have better advice on heat sinking related to mounting these LED strips on the artificial leather? I am wondering if perhaps mounting the strips to a thin aluminum sheet which is attached (on its other side to the fabric) would help in this regard. Maybe some other type of material? The reason I am going with the flexible panels versus the solid design is portability. I still want the panels to be flexible, because I want the panels able to be rolled up and transported with me with as little volume as possible. Make sense? I plan on having a custom bag made to transport the panel in. Thank you so very much for your kind help with this project. Love all your videos, sir! Howard Morris
Elcid Sezar 7 months ago
Hi dear I’ve got voltage regulator with below details would you mind let me know is it gona be ok or no please? LM2577S + LM2596S dual chip modules, DC-DC step up step down module with wide voltage design, suitable for solar panel and other high fluctuation external input power supply Appearance Size: Approx. 6.6 x 4.7 x 1.4cm / 2.6 x 1.85 x 0.55 Step-up Mode: Input 3.5-28V, output: 1.25-26V Output voltage is irrelevant to input voltage (input 3.5-28V with arbitrary value, output 1.25-26V with arbitrary value) Step-down Mode: Input / Output current (max.): 3A, rated input/output: 1A (Please add cooling fin when working in big current) This step-up step-down module with voltage display screen, you can see the input and output voltage Voltage regulating mode: (Step-up) Potentiometer rotates in clockwise, (Step-down) Potentiometer rotates in anticlockwise Note: Because of lower switching frequency and input high current, it is normal to use if it has some noise
maci 8 months ago
7:33 ITALYYY
Bob Anderson 8 months ago
Aren't these 5050 60LED/M 5M strips 72W/5M?, making 15M 216W? How are you getting away with using 100W step-down? Also what should we power it with - 10A 240W 24V Switching PSU?
Julian HG 8 months ago
Hi Matt. I made an awesome light panel with your kit. I was getting interference patterns in my YouTube portrait time-lapses. Here is my build video showing my efforts! I will use mine for shooting future portrait videos. BTW Would you like a portrait of you painted? let me know if you do, i'd happily paint you one! Thanks so much for your build video and kit. it massively helped me out!!! - cheers Julian
Daniel McDavid 8 months ago
He keeps saying 12 American Wire Gauge which is weird to me because in America, we just say 12 gauge
akronymus 6 months ago
@ Daniel what is so hard to understand? Brits mix GB, US, and ISO measurement, so they have to name which one is meant. By the way, do you know what the '12 gauge' stands for? ISO numbers have a unit, just like 3 mm² which means that the cable, when cut, shows a surface of 3 square millimeters (which in this case for a round cable is a diameter of.98 mm) . by the way: the '12' is an arbitrary value that corresponds to no other value at all - the closest ISO equivalent is 3 mm².
Sundisc Sweden 8 months ago
Hello! Can you make a wireless version ? Also color temp adjustable ? :)
John Thompson 8 months ago
How long will it run at full power with the battery?
driveparty 8 months ago
Voltage regulation for LED is total bullshit. LEDs are driven by current, not voltage. There's a VOLTAGE DROP parameter for any given LED which means practcally it won't conducts (light uo) until the voltage difference across its terminals reaches or exceeds that value. The LEDs are only regulated by CURREN! Also, one should never exceed the current limit for any given LED. Considering the LED strips, there are current limiting resistors soldered, so it finally comes to voltage regulation (with any given resistance, the more the voltage, the more the current - the ohm's law). But still, if you want to regolate LEDs lightness, you should use current regulator - not voltage.
Generate Media LLC 8 months ago
GREAT JOB AND GREAT VIDEO.
pedram 9 months ago
Could you plz tel me what software you use to put those drawings and numbers on your videos ?
Frendrick Pantilo 9 months ago
i wanna make a mini version. About 9 x 6 inch.
Bizzaro4arabs 9 months ago
9:07 never mind im just gonna but one
Hunter Johnson 10 months ago
How long does the battery last? Can you charge it?
Art boy Nagaraj 10 months ago
I want this. I m in need. And I will pay you sir. Please reply.
Taylor 6 months ago
No. Go fuck yourself.
Hussein Hani - حسين هاني 10 months ago
I bought 2 - 95 CRI LED -and all the stuff and i'm going to make this in the next month until they arrive to Germany
Jason T 10 months ago
marios pantopoulos 10 months ago
is voltage regulator only for dimming purposes ? Could you use just a power supply without a dimming option ?
Jacob Frisby 10 months ago
Im hoping to make a few of these for my garage lighting. How would I adapt this design i wouldnt need it to be dimmable just an on and off switch.
Mehdi nisrullah 10 months ago
Make a led Belt
Nur Md Shohag islam 11 months ago
hi i m shohag.u make nice video i like that.but bro i want to know which video editor u use for make videos.pls ur help.
Francois-Marie Arouet 11 months ago
Amazing! Nice work
Юрий Кутузов 11 months ago
This thing will not last long time because of bad termal managment!!! You shoud have put led strips on aluminium in order to cool down the leds!!
Drazen Zuvela 11 months ago
Why use such heavy material like MDF is? It is posible to use Al sheet , or use parts of recycled old LCD monitor 20 to 24 inches. Nice celery in your garden!
Federic 11 months ago
do you can use infrared and ultraviolet LED ligths in this configuration to use to grow plants ?
Federic 11 months ago
do you can use direct power?
CabinDoor 11 months ago
So much efford went into explaining how to do it, that lacks a bit from newer videos.
ELPLAK 11 months ago
What power supply did you use?
Emilio Roman 11 months ago
do you have a PDF for this?
NJBNIRA 11 months ago
You will soon get 1 million subscribers congrats
NJBNIRA 11 months ago
You are the best can you reply and say thanks please
lifewater 11 months ago
I went ahead and built my own following these instructions. As someone who knows nothing about electronics I needed the help of two others to break down some of the stuff left out here, but the result is a very bright LED panel for not a lot of money. Somethings I noticed: It truely is bright. like hurt your eyes bright. I recommend picking up some sort of light diffusion sheet, or have a plan to use this indirectly. This thing gets HOT. I was testing the limits of this panel, and after 30 minutes the LED's start the seperate from the glue and wood. After an hour the leds are quite hot to the touch. I really have no idea how to go about fixing that in version 2, maybe aluminum panel as a heatsink? Be sure to glue these down with wood glue or something similar, otherwise they are going to come off most likely during prologed use. Also the part where he explains using resistors with the 5v fan, dont bother with this approach. I attempted this and the resistors get insanely hot, no matter how you configure them. I purchased a BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit), frequently used in RC cars/planes. This is far more efficient, and does not create any additional heat. Well worth the small cost. Overall I recommend trying this if your thinking about it. Great project, thank you for the tutorial!
Martin Waihiga 3 months ago
I really like your input about the use of BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit). But my question is, Does the BEC replace the voltage regulator used in this circuit? And how do you connect it to a potentiometer to make it dimmable? I would really like to know because I've been buying materials to assemble it. If you don't mind you can show a photo of the same. Thanks
Dihelson Mendonca 11 months ago
What about purchasing a simple 100 watt led chip with a controled power source ? Real cheap.
Justin Barnard 1 year ago
why use a hot shoe adapter to get your tripod mount? you could just use a 1/4 20 nut or even better small metal plate you could just use a screw starter bit to make 1/4 20?
Minion Dave 10 months ago
I used a 1/4-20 T-nut to build my tripod mount. It mounted just fine to a tripod (before electronics were installed).
That Guy 1 year ago
I didn't know they let Europeans have weapons of mass destruction as seen at 8:10
Simon Podolak 1 year ago
I didn't quite get the part with the 6.8k Ohm resistor. Why is that? What would I need to adapt if I use more/less LED? or is it that the LED pass out at 6 Volts anyways? Thanks anyone who bothers to answer:) Awesome tutorial!!
Dipesh 2 months ago
So if i have a variable PSU like the meanwell 150w do i still need to add the 6.8K resistor?
Manolis Gledsodakis 7 months ago
If you use more LEDs you'll need more power - a variable PSU that can supply 12 volts at a higher current (expensive!) Also thicker wire. For fewer LEDs, change nothing but you might be able to use a lower power PSU.
Hanafi Hazemi 8 months ago
Yeah i would like to know too!
IndianTelephone 1 year ago
I hate it that I can't find the exact electrical parts mentioned in DIY videos because I live in a country on the other side of the world.
Taylor 6 months ago
Then fucking move. You live in A DIFFERENT COUNTRY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FUCKING WORLD. No shit, it's going to be different!
Tony bp 1 year ago
John Heiez grim ibuildit , has a much better build.
Tony bp 1 year ago
I was excited to finally find someone who would do a lot of showing. Started out as such, but finished with a huge dud. Very disappointing.
Tony bp 1 year ago
For people who don't know anything about this, but would like to know, you left out a lot. Didn't show how to's a lot. You left a lot out of the actual show and did a lot of the tell , which doesn't help someone like me. What you should consider when you want to teach, is that you must assume that some don't know what the heck you're talking about, so you should actually do a lot of SHOWING and not skip any steps. A good teacher, will start at A and finish rightfully so at Z.
DIY Perks 1 year ago
What bits were left out? I thought I was pretty thorough with this one, and the narration fills in some stuff.
Mo- ICE 1 year ago
i love this channel super interesting and the shots are taken so well omg its crazy
Slate 1 year ago
Does these work with RGB Led?