Getting started with Git using SourceTree - Part 2: Working together

Getting started with Git using SourceTree - Part 2: Working together

This video series teaches you Git version control without having to use the command line. As an interface, we use SourceTree from Atlassian and KDiff3 by Joachim Eibl. Part 2 covers working together on the same set of files: setting up remote repositories, cloning, pushing and pulling. Note: downloading PuTTY separately is not needed anymore, it is included :) - If you want to install it separately anyway: Find the link saying 'A Windows installer for everything except PuTTYtel' (We are not affiliated with Atlassian or Joachim Eibl in any way.)

Comments to the video: Getting started with Git using SourceTree - Part 2: Working together

G Kast 6 days ago
Zhivko Kabaivanov 1 month ago
PuTTY gen for Windows 0:03 PuTTY gen for MAC 2:14 SSH key in GitHub 3:33 SSH key in GitLab 3:54 SSH key in Bitbucket 4:21
Qi Liang 1 month ago
thank you very much for making these videos
Konathala Keerthana 2 months ago
Hello, I am following your videos for version control and after installing putty I lost my files on desktop 😒😳😳 please let me know how to retrieve it back. I should have seen the optional part on it 😭😭😭😭
Edgar Hernandez 3 months ago
Hi! I'm in an Unreal Engine course and we're using SourceTree. They've made little emphasis in SourceTree features, just the basics. Now I'm having problems pushing my commits while tracking some files with LFS. This problems could be due HTTPS? Can I change to SSH keys at this point of my project?
Virtual Play 3 months ago
Edgar Hernandez That's much more than I got into in this series; you didn't say what those problems are, it also depends on your hosting service (GitLab? Bitbucket?) Anyway, you can change SSH keys or even fully switch to HTTPS at any time. Git just checks that the commit hash codes are the same (it's even possible to have multiple remotes.)
Ben777 6 months ago
Why download PuTTY, when SourceTree has a PuTTY generator under Tools - Create or import SSH keys? Is the downloaded one better? Or was it recently added? I noticed yours was set to 2048 bits, whereas the default is 1024 bits.is that important? Thanks again.
Virtual Play 6 months ago
It wasn't included before ;) I've now added a comment saying you can skip the PuTTY download if you want. 1024 bits encrypting is theoretically possible to crack with a brute-force method (you would still need a pretty large botnet). Default for PuTTY is 2048 bits. But unless you're working on (cyber)weapons or something else highly likely to attract big-time hacking, it doesn't matter a lot.
Deyi Kong 8 months ago
Great tutorial. I've been having trouble using SourceTree. It is really straightforward. BTW Can you please tell me what software you are using to record your screen? It looks really good.
Deyi Kong 7 months ago
Thx. :)
Virtual Play 7 months ago
Thanks; The trick is that I used a Mac with QuickTime to record a virtual Windows machine especially cleanly set up in VMware Fusion for these videos, so that it looks nice and clean :)
ram meena 10 months ago
thanks for this tutorial
Premkumar S 1 year ago
Can you please tell what should be done on below case. When Anne is editing his file, Ben is also editing his file and both of them are having their own changes. What should be done to resolve the conflict ?
Virtual Play 10 months ago
Please look at part 4 or the series ( )
Aneesh Bellam 1 year ago